Friday, July 3, 2009

Meet the Sisters Varrone

Samantha was born with the sunrise in late March, 1990, in the same hospital where I had been born 35 years earlier. Sam was my introduction to the Dadhood. Everything I first learned about my inner Dad-ness, I learned with her on my knee. Sam’s 19 now and shares a two-bedroom apartment with three co-workers, one of whom, David, is also lucky enough to be her significant other…

Sorry. Had a Dad moment there…

She moved out almost a year ago, an event I still refer to as when she ran away from home, teasing to let her know she is missed. And to get a rise out of her. And it does.
More on Sam in future posts.

Marina arrived in late April, 1992. Not in the same hospital as I, but near the same time of night. ‘Rina became the baby of the house, much to Samantha’s chagrin. She was the one that taught me that I had a capacity for expanding the capacity of my heart. Marina is 17 now. She was under a lot of pressure when Samantha moved out, but made the job as big-sister-in-residence her own. Due to be a high school senior in the next school term…

Sorry. Another Dad moment…

She made the decision, quite firmly, to come with Samantha and I during The Great Parting Of The Ways (TGPOTW) of five years ago when she was asked to make a choice. I don’t believe she ever looked back. More on Marina in future posts.

Eden came along in late June, 1998, on a warm afternoon, back in the same hospital as her eldest sister and I. Because the new baby of the family was six years younger than her next older sibling, she seemed forever to be running after her sisters since the day she realized she could. Eden is 11 now. She lived with her mother for over a year after TGPOTW. Finally, I was asked to take Eden to live with us by her mother.

There was much joy and festive dancing in the Dadhood (to The Beatles, I believe).

Eden is the most sociable of the four of us and the one most asked after by friends. She is beginning Middle School this year…

Sorry. You guessed it; Dad moment…

Eden is my last redo. Therefore, I try to encourage her on her journey to find the best Eden she can be. A deceptively simple parenting plan that has produced most excellent results twice before. More on Eden in future posts.

So there are the Sisters Varrone, without whom the Dadhood wouldn’t be and I'm so glad, is.

I’m glad that we are big on hugs here.
-Kisses good-night and good-bye.
-Conversing more than we yell.
-Laughing more than we cry.
-And there is much joy and festive dancing

Even with all the Sudden Realizations I must endure, I’m blessed.